Saturday 13 March 2021

Giving Birth in Sweden and the Hospital Bag



I have a few friends who are now expecting and near due date. Maybe there's a name for babies during the Pandemic? Here's a look back at my birth experience (with my first baby) in Sweden and what to pack in your hospital bag (pre-pandemic).

We set aside the things we wanted to pack into our bag in one area of our apartment (I think it was on our guest futon bed). It wasn't until the night we had to go to the hospital that my co-pilot stuffed them all in a bag (this was with the first baby).


We actually attended a friend's wedding the day before baby was born. 

In Sweden, it's midwives who take care of you during your pregnancy. They are also the ones there during the delivery unless there's a complication. But it won't be the same midwife who is at your baby checkups who is there when you deliver.

If it's your first baby, after the baby is born you usually stay in the hospital at least 2 nights AND until the Pediatrician gives the OK for you to go home. With the second baby, you don't even need to stay overnight if you don't want to, as there usually aren't enough rooms or single rooms.

With our first baby, we stayed in the hospital for about 5 days. My co-pilot and I thought it felt like 'Parent camp'. Our first was born quite small at 5lbs (2.23kg) and they wanted the baby to put on weight and see that I was able to breastfeed OK.

While I stayed in the hospital, my co-pilot went home several times to bring more items from home that we needed during our stay (like a device to watch shows on, more clothes and even some Ben&Jerry's ice cream - Don't forget your snacks!). 

The midwives came to check on us, the hospital provided diapers and we saw the doctor each day. They provided all meals for me but my co-pilot had to buy his own lunch and dinner.

We were lucky because we got a room with an extra bed for him. It didn't come with its own private bathroom though. The bathroom we shared with the neighboring room. 

Baby didn't have jaundice, but they put her in this "light bed" for a few hours just in case.

Here are some ideas for what to pack in your hospital bag.

  • Water bottle
  • Snacks for you and your partner, or whoever will be with you during labor/delivery.
  • Warm socks or slippers as the hospital floor gets cold and you need something to walk around in the room
  • Comfy sweat pants or other loose pants (I did not want to get into tight jeans after giving birth, I didn't even feel up to 'dressing up' most of the time I was in the hospital)
  • A couple of outfits for baby (we found that the easiest outfit to use is the 'kimono style' where you button it in the front. Some nice pants with feet are nice too if it's a cooler season like Autumn.

  • A few of your own clothes
  • Hair ties
  • Face cloth to cool off your forehead and face (Me wiping my face all over with a face cloth again and again, was what helped get me through labor)
  • Flip-flops for shower
  • Your own toiletries for showering
  • You could bring your breastfeeding pillow if you want, but they are a bit bulky.
  • Your ID
  • Your phone and charger
  • A list of a few happy memories, your partner can read to you when labor gets intense or you need to go to a 'happy place' in your mind.
  • Note: don't worry about bringing pads for yourself or baby's diapers, in Sweden, the hospital usually provides both of these and you can even take a bunch home.


With the first baby, we had a loose birth plan, but I also wrote down that I was flexible. If things didn't go well, I would be ok changing plans to ensure that baby came out safely. For example, I planned not to use an epidural. Thankfully, I didn't need to for either baby.

With the first baby, my labor started at home, a little after we returned from a friend's wedding. 

Before you are allowed to go to the hospital, you need to call the 'Hospital Coordinator' so she can tell you whether to come to the hospital or wait at home. It was good that my co-pilot called when he did. The 'Coordinator' could hear me yelling in the background and told him to come right away!

Labor!

Labor was definitely painful, but fortunately, super quick for both babies (about 3 hours). My water broke in the taxi and baby was born 30 min after we had arrived at the hospital!! What a whirlwind that night was! 

A side note: It's nice that English is widely used and understood in Sweden, so I didn't need to worry about practicing our Swedish during the labor and birth.

With the second baby, my water broke first, before labor actually started. We were out for a walk and were sitting at a cafe in the park and I didn't realize what was happening. After I called the 'Hospital Coordinator' to get advice, they told me to come to the hospital to get checked. At the hospital (this was not the ward for giving birth but a separate area only for checkups), the midwife said that water had broken and if I didn't go into labor by the next day, they would induce. I ended up going into labor after we returned home from that checkup.

So if you were wondering, it can be different with different pregnancies. I'm thankful with the second, we had someone to watch our older child at home. We also ended up having more time to actually enjoy the labor and delivery together the second time around. 

Our snacks after baby was born! Open faced sandwiches with Swedish cheese and coffee and juice . Complete with a Swedish flag ;) 

The midwives said labor and delivery is like running a marathon so I needed to stay hydrated. Baby checkups and delivery are done by midwives here in Sweden. Unless, there is a problem during the pregnancy or delivery, you don't see a doctor until after baby is born. I felt comfortable with this whole process but I know our families in North America found this idea strange!

Both of my pregnancies were about the same, but with the second, I had a few more ultrasounds to ensure that baby was growing at a normal rate since the first baby was small. In the end, the second baby was only about 7lbs at birth (the first was 5lbs). 

If you're expecting, I hope labor goes smoothly for you and baby. 

Good luck and remember, don't forget your snacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment