Monday 8 February 2021

Vegan Semla from Mr Cake cafe in Göteborg, Sweden!

Vegan semlor from Mr. Cake
Swedes created a special treat to celebrate Fat Tuesday or "Fettisdagen" in Swedish (which is fast approaching on Mar 1st, 2022!). These delicious sweet caradamom buns filled with a generous helping of whipped cream over almond paste, have different names all over Scandinavia but are known as Semla or Semlor (plural) in Sweden. They are typically available in Mid January until Easter time. Gothenburg, being the cafe city that it is, you will see it at most of the cafes and even some bakeries around town. 

You can even have a Semla latte at some cafes like this one from Espresso House

I had my very first Semla probably in my first year here in Sweden. It must have been at work when they brought in a huge tray to compliment our office "fika" (or coffee break). After that, I'm sure most of us were in Semla-coma and found it difficult to keep working. 

How do you eat this?  I've heard of a couple of different ways to eat a Semla like first pouring warm milk over it, or using the top of the bun as a spoon for the cream, but definitely everyone agrees you need to have it with a nice drink - Coffee, tea, hot cocoa, or even a beer, whatever you prefer. 

7Elevel so many semlor
        7Eleven in Sweden is unlike North American 7Elevens. They have amazing pastries so it's no surprise that even 7Eleven has a great variety of Semlor!

Pandemic Fatigue 

(Written in 2021) It has been a month or so of having the little ones home during the day and juggling taking care of them while working from home (Thanks to this Pandemic). This week, after I managed to take them out for some sledding in the snow and then cleaned up the living room, I decided it was time for Mama to have a treat! Being Semla-season, I knew it would have to be a Semla. Besides, I had been craving one since last year!
 
When Mama takes a video, there's always a little background noise ;)

Baby Allergies

When we discovered the baby had allergies to egg AND milk , I was commited to going egg and dairy free too, so that I could breastfeed. Fast forward to now, a year later and although it wasn't easy in the beginning, I'm still egg and dairy free. Over the last year, I've found many alternatives, some good and some not so good. I'm also finding even more "Veganized" desserts for myself, like Vegan Semla.
 
Mr Cake
Very impressed that my whole delivery order from Mr. Cake was nicely packed!

Semla 2021 - Vegan Semla!

This year's Semla is from a cafe called Mr. Cake, which opened in Gothenburg a few years ago now (their first location is in Stockholm). The cafe offers a wide variety of delicious pastries and even lunch items. On the weekend they also offer breakfast/brunch options like American-style pancakes. It's a popular place, even during the pandemic, with lines out the door on weekends. I actually ordered food delivery for my Semlor instead of having to wait in any lines. To my surprise and delight, it arrived nicely packaged and intact! Fika that day was pretty exciting!

Mr Cake cinnabun
     This popular cafe offers a few North American style snacks like Cinnamon buns, cheesecake and donuts.

Treat Yourself

Semla at Mr Cake
It's important to remember to treat yourself once in awhile. Everyone, especially, moms, deserve a little treat each day/week/month - but it doesn't have to be a Semla or a even a dessert, it can be some time set aside for yourself or just anything that you feel is a treat for you. 

Mr. Cake is a cafe that is definitely worth a try if visiting Göteborg. There's lots of space to sit for fika indoors or it's easy to takeaway (or even order food delivery like I did!).

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your treat and remember, don't forget your snacks!


Mr Cake 
Read more on their website
Lilla Badhusgatan 2b, 411 21 Göteborg, Sweden 

No comments: